Saturday, February 13, 2010

Why I Like It Longer

      Why I Like It Longer     

             "Look mommy, a big car!" I shouted as I was nudging my mother.

             "That's a truck ,Anna." answered my mother while smoothing my hair. 

              Hey, how am I supposed to know? I was only four that time .And you should know my gender now by the name "Anna". Anyway back to the story, the big truck made a complete stop outside my house, blocking the ray of sunlight. Then a couple around their mid 20s came out and took a look at the house next to ours, followed by a small girl. The couple smiled warmly at me ,my mother and not to mention my topless father washing the car.
              "Hello, you must be our new neighbor." my mother said cheerfully as she greeted the couple.

              My mother and father continue their "adult talk" with the couple, leaving the small girl and I alone. I took a closer look at the small girl, she has jet black hair which were past shoulders, big eyes and pale skin.

             "Good that we are neighbors. By the way, I'm Samantha and this is my husband, Eric." she said and took a glance at the small girl,which I assume is their daughter. "Oh and here's my darling daughter, Kimberly, she's four this year and enrolling to the kindergarten down the street in one month's time."

            " Oh really?same as my Anna too. I'm guessing their going to be best friends!" my mother said confidently.

            My mother's predictions was right, Kimberly and I were best friends ever since. We went to kindergarten together, sat next to each other, shared our delicious, lips-smacking lunches and  went back home to have our play dates. We stick to each other so much, that even our teachers and classmates asked weather we were twins, for I too have jet black hair, almost the same length as Kimberly, almost the same height, but my skin tone was darker than her's.
      
             I had lots of fun with Kimberly, Kim for short in kindergarten. Now is time to further my studies and go to primary school. Again, Kim and I went to the same primary school, but unfortunately we were not classmates. 

            The first day of primary school, Kim's parents and my parents accompanied us to school.I was scared and nervous, will people hate me? will I able to make friends? I walked nervously into my classroom, many were eying towards me. Little did I know, a cheerful girl waved at me and pointed to the seat next to her's, she's Jane, my new best friend.

             By recess, I already had a circle of friends, I was so happy. This continued throughout the whole year, by the end of it, I became "miss popular". How's Kim then? She got her own friends too. I don't really have to worry about her being alone. Kim and I aren't really distant friends now, we were just not as close as last time.

            Time flies, in a blink of the eye, I'm 10 years old already.I don't meant to boast but, that time I was attractive, brainy ,popular, very active ,artistic and athletic ,I had won so many trophy that my parents had to buy a trophy case just for me ! Many students were dying to be my friend.

            Two years passed, I went to a shopping center to celebrate my 12th birthday with a bunch of my "popular" friends. It was really hard to decide who to invite, because while I was deciding, many people were impressing me to invite them. I invited my close friends including Kim, see? I did not abandon her. Unfortunately, she can't go as she had a appointment with her doctor. I had a blast and celebrated my birthday for 7 hours with over 100 photos awaiting to show off in facebook, but it somehow doesn't feel complete without Kim.
     
            After my birthday, Kim seems very quiet all the time. I asked her whats wrong, but she said everytime was fine. I, her closest friend , did not think that everything was fine.

            In the Chinese New Year holiday, I went to my hometown, Sabah. When I came back, I was starting to gain suspicion towards Kim, she was absent from days to weeks. The problem is she's not staying at home but in the hospital. I tried to scoop something out from my mother and father but they didn't know either. I can't talk to Kim's parents, because they went to the hospital to accompany Kim. Suddenly, a alternative appear to me, I could call Kim's parents ! Why can't I think of this before? I excitedly took my mother's phone and found Kim's mother on the contact list, I pressed call and waited patiently.

               Kim's mother answered, I asked her how's Kim and there's a long awkward silent that gives me a bad feeling.

               "Kim died." she replied and sobs quietly.

               I hold on the phone tightly, I was so shocked that I was shivering. I couldn't believe my ears.

               "Since when?" I asked.

               " A few minutes before you call." she said and cried loudly.

               My parent's and I drove to the hospital and reached there in 10 seconds flat. Kim had excessive white blood cells in her body since she was born, this disease is dangerous and can be lead to death.

               While I was going though her belongings, I found her diary and remembered that she loves writing. One unexpected moment, I flipped open her diary and read her entries.She wrote:


Dear diary, I'm worried I'd give everyone burden with this disease, especially Anna and my parents. I don't know what will happen  next, I'm scared.



               If I've known this earlier, I will give her my full support. But instead she worried that she will give me burden. I miss Kim,her quiet nature, her kindness, her generosity,her company and very more that can't be described in words.I would trade everything to spend one day with her, like our childhood. Why I like it longer? I want her to live longer and continue to be my best friend, be there by my side. I regretted for not appreciating the time we spend together. We have to precious the time spend with our loved ones.

* this is not a true story :)







                  

No comments:

Post a Comment